Sunday 21 July 2013

21/7/13 Shoulders

Just an update before getting on with the log. 88kg today on empty stomach. Really crossing fingers, perhaps i can hit 90 in a month or so.

Been pretty undecided regarding how to program my training now. Bryan's template sees me doing a 2 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off cycle, the program itself is sound but i'd like something with more training frequency. So i've decided to start on legs push pull. yup, i'm splitting my push and pull up. I guess the reason why my lower body is slightly more developed than my upper body is the inordinate amount of time i spend on them (1 day lower, 1 day upper, push+pull).

As for the exercises, sets, reps, that sort of thing, i decided to do something similar to CT's star complexes, except that i'm starting with the explosive stuff and ending with the high rep stuff. Something like this: 7*3(Power), 6*6(Strength), 5*8(hypertrophy 1), 4*10(hypertrophy 2), 3*20(isolation)
Actual sets/reps may vary depending on situation/mood. Tried it out today with shoulders.

Warm up:
Rotator cuff stuff
Face pulls 30*5*12

Push Press
96*7*3
Superset with:
Pull ups
BW*7*6
I'll be splitting up the push and pull, but i still like the feeling of adding some pull ups immediately after push work. The weight i used for the push presses was too much. My wrists were sore, my right shoulder (the troublesome one) felt really weird when the weight came back down, and i locked out, but didnt hold it there cause it would take too much energy and would kill my spine. Shall lower the weight the next time. 

Klokov press
56*6*6
Superset with:
Pull ups
BW*6*6
These felt really good. The weight was perfect, just the right amount of this-shit-will-be-the-death-of-me, but minimal grinding.

Narrow grip bench
86*5*8
Hypertrophy set 1, for dem triceps. Also a bid to increase bench frequency, otherwise i'll only be benching once in 8 days :O. Also a very good weight, bit of a grind on the last rep of the last two sets though. 

Klokov Bradford press
41*4*6
This was the good part. The highlight of my training session. My triceps were tired, delts were tired, so i really felt these in my delts. even had some of that lactic acid action. awwww yeaaaahhhhhh.

Delt raises
8*20, 25, 30
The final exercise, isolation work, was supposed to be 3*20, but the weight i chose was too light, so i just increased the reps abit. Sufficient burn.


To sum things up, moving down the strength curve, from explosive to high rep, seems to work pretty well for me (for now at least), so i shall implement it for my PULL day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment